Friday, February 3, 2012

Trust Me, I'm from the Government


The article above is from the April 21, 1952 Galesburg Register Mail. I am going through some old family papers and for whatever reason this newspaper was in the box I am working on at the moment. People wonder sometimes why I don't trust the government. I hope this article puts those questions to rest. I can just hear the commanding officer describing the exercise to the troops.

" Men, tomorrow we are going to drop you off in the desert. You are to each dig a foxhole about 4 feet deep. My advice is not to skimp on depth. Once your foxhole is complete I would advise you to get in the bottom of it and shield your eyes. We have about 300 invited guests and we are going to set off an atomic bomb for them. Should be quite a show. Hope they brought sun block. Anyway after the explosion, assuming you are not incerated, we want you to jump out of your foxhole and charge toward the spot where we set off the bomb. We call it ground zero because that is how much living stuff there will be there. Now so you fellas don't feel like your the only ones who will get cancer in the next 20 years from radiation exposure we are going to drop in 120 paratroopers. They were selected because it was either this or prison. Thanks men. Best of luck tomorrow, remember your sunglasses and I will be way in the back with the invited guests wearing the lead lined underwear."

Trust the government? Go ahead, I'll catch up with you later and see how well that worked out for  you.

No comments:

Post a Comment