Monday, July 28, 2014

Small Fish- Infinite Pond

Post two for today.

I go out at night and walk the dogs. Whenever I do it is another opportunity to look up at the sky and ponder the nature of the universe. Knowing in my head and my heart that some of the light I am seeing was sent from a distant star millions and perhaps billions of years ago. It makes me wonder about people like Ken Ham. If you don't know who Ken Ham is count yourself lucky. He is the guy who recently debated Bill Nye the Science Guy over the origins of the universe. Ken is a creationist. He believes the universe was created 6,000 years ago and any statement to the contrary is wrong and a lie from the pit of hell.

I look at the universe at night and wonder who is on some other planet looking back and wondering if there is life other than that on their planet. We may be separated by the vastness of time and space but I'm sure we share the same wonder about what else is out there. Ken Ham and I live much closer together but he doesn't wonder about those things. He is calling for NASA to stop searching for alien life because in his mind they probably don't exist and if they do they are going to hell anyway. His blog recently stated, "You see, the Bible makes it clear that Adam's sin affected the whole universe. This means that any aliens would also be affected by Adam's sin, but because they are not Adam's descendants, they can't have salvation." It seems to me that Ken wants to be a big fish in an infinite pond. The universe is infinite and it was created solely for human beings. No one else matters. No one else will go to heaven. Everyone else in this giant, beautiful, magical, infinite universe will spend eternity in hell. I look at the sky at night and feel tiny and insignificant. Thankful that time and chance gave me the opportunity to live and look up at its wonders. Ken looks up and thinks we are alone and if we aren't whoever is up there really doesn't matter because they aren't a son of Adam and don't believe in his god. Ken, if you are going to be in heaven and it is filled with folks who think and act like you I will gladly, happily and thankfully accept my place in eternal torment rather than have to listen to the stupid shit that comes out of your mouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment