Thursday, July 31, 2014

Too Much Stuff

We live in a world with millions living in abject poverty. They struggle day to day with things we take for granted. They want wholesome food to eat. Clean water to drink. What is the problem in America. We have too much stuff. Our houses are full of stuff. We rent storage lockers so we have somewhere to put our excess stuff. The stuff that won't fit in out houses. But one man's trash is another man's treasure. George Carlin perhaps put it best when he said: "How come your shit is stuff and their stuff is shit?"

Carol likes watching Hoarders on TV. I personally don't. I understand that those people are mentally ill. There can be no other explanation for their conduct. Surround by piles of stuff. They can't let go of anything even when their homes have essentially become unfit for human habitation. I should be thankful that Carol likes that show. It motivates her to keep our house clear of too much clutter. Unfortunately for her I have often referred to her attempts to rid the house of clutter as opportunities to get rid of stuff that belongs to Jeff. Cleaning seems to be an excuse to get rid of my stuff. Of course using George's logic in her sight it would be getting rid of Jeff's shit. In the interest of helping my dear readers I offer the following tips on ridding your home and life of clutter.

1. Stop bringing new stuff in. While our economy may suffer a bit if we all do this, BUY LESS.

2. Get rid of one unused or unneeded item a day. We don't deal with the clutter because the task looks so huge. If you get rid of one item per day at the end of the year 365 less things are in your house.

3. Start with easy stuff. Do I really still need that Nehru jacket from high school. Yes, I still have one in the front hall closet. Vintage clothing, anyone interested? It is unlikely I will ever weigh 150 pounds so it is never going to fit me again. Why is it there? I don't really know.

4. Figure out before you start how you are going to dispose of items. Thrift store, ebay, trash can, recycling?

5. Don't keep things out of guilt or obligation. You should only keep things you are going to use. Don't keep it because it was given to you by someone. They gave it to you so now it is yours to do with as you wish. Don't let other people decide what you keep in your house.

6. Don't keep things you think you might use someday. This is one I personally struggle with at times. It seems like as soon as I throw something away or get rid of it in some manner karma determines to throw something my way that could use that item. I'm sure that because that has happened like twice in my life that whenever I get rid of something I will need it a day or two later. It is nonsense but a difficult hurdle for me.

7. Gifts do not have to be material items. You can encourage others to give you nonmaterial gifts by giving those kinds of gifts to them. Perhaps a day spent doing something together or a meal out on the town rather than a material thing.

8. Don't have too much equipment. You don't need enough linens to stock a hotel. My weakness is kitchen gadgets. I have a four burner stove. How many pans do I really need. I know we have an electric skillet that we have owned for about 20 years. I doubt it has been used 20 times.

9. Don't get rid of things that are not yours. You don't get to decide what kind of stuff your spouse of children should throw out. They can't learn how to deal with their clutter if you don't let them learn how by dealing with it themselves.

10. Time. The stuff you have in your house has taken some of your time. Time to shop for it, time to use, clean, maintain and repair it, time to earn the money to buy it. Determine what items are really worth your time. When you shop weigh time in the decision making process. Give less of your time to stuff and you will have more time in your life for people.

So, anyone want to waste some of their time and effort on a vintage 70's Nehru jacket, size large? How about an FFA jacket from 1972? Comes with my name and vintage pins on it? Might be a valuable collectors item someday.

1 comment:

  1. I want your stuff. Oh, there I go. Nice thoughtful essay.

    ReplyDelete