Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Fat Bastard

My weight has been an issue for me as long as I can remember. In fact, actually, before I can remember. My Mom kept the index size cards the doctor gave her back in 1954 when I was a baby and got my checkups and shots. The doctor commented a couple of times on those cards that I had gained some weight that I did not need. Somewhere in the mess my desk and life are at the moment I have those cards and will try to add them to a post at some point. The thing that struck me was that in addition to making notes in the medical record the doctor actually took time to write a note for Mom too keep and refer to at home. You know, stuff I should be eating, things I should be doing at my age. Can't imagine a doctor taking that kind of time now. They would most likely just refer you to an internet site or hand you some preprinted crap from a drug company or baby food company. Those personal notes probably went the way of the doctor's house call. Yes, I'm old enough to remember those. Seems like it would be a good idea, why bring you disease infected kid to the office where he or she can pass their germs around?

Well, back to me and my weight. It seems like it is time to attempt another weight loss diet. I have set my sights low and my expectations lower if that is even possible. Here is the general plan. I started on Sunday with a weight of 270 pounds. I set a goal weight of 165 pounds. According to the application I am using on my iPad my maximum weight should be 168 pounds for my height. Since it is clear I'm not going to get any taller then weight loss is my only option for getting thinner. The plan is to lose one pound a week. This means my goal weight is obtainable in September 2016. Two years? Really? Truth be told it didn't all jump on me over a weekend. It went on slow and it should come off slow if the intent is to keep it off. It will be the subject of future blog posts which will keep you appraised of my successes and failures. Beer, of course, is still on the menu. Not as much or as often, but still on the menu.

Yesterday was a bit busy here so no blog post. Today I will be double dipping to get back on schedule. There was also a problem yesterday with writer's block. There is a post in my head but I just can't seem to get it to work out. Perhaps by this afternoon it will come together in some form that will make sense to someone out there.

1 comment:

  1. I too have decided to do something as well. If I continue eating the way I am, I will get to the point where it gets really tough to turn things around. A nice walk in the morning and less sugar.
    Marks (the Wombie) told him last month that 1 month on the Paleo diet will reverse his diabetes. This may be worth looking into. I would love the Breyer's diet. One dish of ice cream at breakfast, lunch and supper.

    ReplyDelete