Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Paralysis by Analysis

It seems that all of us are guilty of this at some point or another. We worry and fret and procrastinate when action is actually called for and necessary. Even when we are overthinking and know we are doing so, there just seems to be no escape from the endless series of "what if's" that buzz around in our heads like a hive of angry bees. We are distracted by a hundred things that have nothing to do with what we should be addressing. Our minds go to useless places and ponder pointless issues.

Here are some of the ones I have pondered recently.

Optimistic people tell you that when life gives you lemons you should make lemonade. What if you don't like lemons or lemonade? What do you do if life kicks you in the balls? Or ladies if you get a punt in the (I'll stop there cause my Mom reads this and you can figure it out) Doesn't really seem like you could make much of anything out of either of those occurrences. Call me a pessimist but I don't believe there is a hidden gem or a life lesson in every bad thing that happens to you. Life can be random and violent. The other day an actress was riding her bicycle along with her husband. A sudden storm came up and toppled a tree. She was killed and he emerged uninjured. What was to be learned from that random happening? Perhaps you see something there but I don't. Please don't give me that crap about Jesus having a plan for her life. Do right or god drops a tree on you? Do right and god drops a tree on you? Fame and fortune can't save you from the random effects of gravity? The news of this event held no lemonade for me.

I would never fight a midget. It has nothing to do with the fact that I am taller and heavier and have no boxing skills at all. It has everything to do with my perception of the height difference. If a midget and I are in a fighting stance and he punches straight ahead, where is he going to hit me? Personally I have no interest in literally being a midget's punching bag. The choice of the term "punching bag" was deliberate and used to again emphasize my point. My advise is to be nice to midgets. If the term is not acceptable then little people or dwarves or whatever it is they want to be called this week. I don't have my politically correct playbook out at the moment.

It is just me or is the fact that the first 4 letters of analysis spell anal. It seems to that is the way we refer to people who want to over analyze everything. They are anal. Seems like a shitty way to refer to them. They are being cautious. It isn't a bad thing. Take Lily Lu, our dog, as an example. She is very careful about going through doorways especially where her view is somewhat obstructed. Teddi has been gone for about a month but Lily constantly recalls Teddi's sneak attacks from around a blind corner. We never use the front door here but the other day I went out that way to check the mail. Lily heard the front door open and all I heard was her nails scrambling on the hardwood floors trying to escape whatever she imagined was coming in to get her. Maybe some day that fearful analysis of hers will go away.

  Could this also be part of my problem?

1 comment:

  1. Nice post. Very thought provoking. One of the things I have been thinking about lately, and something that I find, perhaps irrationally, irking are the Facebook/Hallmark little graphics that are supposed to give you insight on the world. Things like, "The key is not to fear the storm, but to learn to dance in the rain." Lord, I hate those little bon mots. They are like a little aspirin of words designed to make you feel better with your situation, give clarity of the universe, but are, in reality, meaningless. They don't provide a blueprint or template but just a jumble of pretty words. Like I said, I may be a little irrational about it.
    I am scared of midgets, like clowns. Its like they have superpowers and I am powerless. I would never fight one either. I recall they were part of the attraction at the nudie bars in Gulfport. I wonder why?
    I hope Lily Lu gets over her aversion to openings. Poor dear. Some of the things we grow up with stay with us forever.

    ReplyDelete