Friday, October 10, 2014

Hilton Head Island- It Ain't Tybee

Last night Carol asked what we were doing today and my response was typical. I got no plans. She wanted to go to Island Quilts over on Hilton Head Island. The interesting thing about Hilton Head is that you can see it clearly from Tybee. As the crow flies it is about 7 miles. It is an almost 60 mile drive. You have to drive into Savannah, across the river, into South Carolina and back out to the coast. We left this morning about 10:30 and got to our destination about 11:45. The delay was mainly because I wouldn't listen to the GPS directions. Sometimes I don't know better. Along the way in South Carolina we saw this.

Yes, that is lumber attached to the side of that car. I guess the choice was between having the window down and having 70 degree air blow on you or having the windows up, the lumber outside and looking like an idiot. My theory is once again validated. Make something foolproof and someone will invent a bigger fool.

Once we found the quilt store Carol went in to look around and ended up buying a few items she needed. Since it was close to lunch time we stopped at a place called the Boar's Head for some very good fish and chips. It was a wine bar and a bit more uppity than we normally like but it was the place I could find. I had made one wrong turn prior to that and got to an entrance point for the Hilton Head lighthouse and harbor area. For a mere $6.00 each we could spend the day in the area shopping and seeing their lighthouse. I told the guy all I wanted was some way to get the hell off that god forsaken island. He pointed to the turnaround and sent me on my way with $12.00 still in my pocket. If I want to see a lighthouse Tybee has one. Can look at the outside for free any day I want. Fuck Hilton Head and their lighthouse. The truth is that to me everyone on Hilton Head seems in a big hurry to get somewhere. From looking at the map it appears that there are at least two dozen golf courses within a 30 mile area. When you don't want to golf there are lots of places to spend what money you have left. Hilton Head is go, Go, GO. Tybee is on Tybee time. Nothing starts on time and if you are a half hour late usually you are still early.

Speaking of money, I saw an opportunity for Carol to pick up a few dollars for what I think would be some really easy work.

Karma Entertainment, a "gentlemen's club" had a notice on their sign they were looking for dancers. I wanted to do it but I misunderstood what a "gentleman's club" is. Apparently it is not a place where gentlemen dance. I suspect that by refusing to hire me they have missed a huge money making opportunity. They are filming Magic Mike 2 on Tybee now and whatever those guy have I have more. Probably almost a hundred pounds more. Anyway, Carol insisted that she is retired and has no interest in getting a job of any sort.

So that was our day. Wood on a car, quilting fabric, lunch and the sad realization that no one wanted to pay to see my wood.

No comments:

Post a Comment