Monday, October 13, 2014

Pirates?

Tybee Island seems to have a parade or celebration on a steady basis. There has to be some way to draw the tourist folk here and then pry open their wallets and extract enough cash to get the merchants through the long cold winter. Thursday through Sunday was PriateFest. At one time, in its distant past, Tybee Island was the home for some pirates. Now we have a four day long celebration of music and fireworks which features a parade on Saturday afternoon. As you are aware, if you are a regular reader, Carol had a quilt meeting Saturday morning. Then it was off to Wiley's for some of the best BBQ that I have ever tasted. A quick pit stop by home for Lily to get a walk and some much needed and deserved attention. Then we headed toward Benny's for a cold beer or two while we waited for the parade to mosey down Butler Avenue. My misguided thinking was that being about 90 minutes early and almost 3 hours before the parade got there would allow time to find a decent parking space. I didn't find one the first go around and dropped Carol at Benny's with the statement: "Have a beer while I find a parking space. I'll be inside in a few minutes." I headed north on Butler hoping that fate would be on my side. Fate, in this case, was a cruel bastard. The closest parking space I could find was WAAAAAAYYY down Butler. After the parade I walked back and drove to Benny's to get Carol. I checked and my parking space was three quarters of a mile from Benny's door. Next year we will have to be there earlier. Enough of my babbling. On to the pictures.


 In a radical departure from history pirates here use scooters and strollers.
 In keeping with my history of questionable photography you will note in many of the pictures that the speed limit on this section of Butler is 30.
 He was trying to get the crowd to yell back at him. The first couple of attempts were weak but he was stubborn. After getting the reaction he wanted he moved on.
 The parents of this little gal went all out with their entry and she seemed to be enjoying the ride.



 Some of the young ladies seemed to enjoy playing the part of pirates or pirate wenches.





I failed to notice the big gold nose ring until I was editing the pictures. This is the end of the first installment of the parade. There will be more posted later today.

1 comment:

  1. Looked like a fun and dry parade. Goodbye tourists, hello winter. Good pics, thanks Mr. Sutor for bringing a little Tybee Time to Bedlam.

    ReplyDelete