Monday, October 20, 2014

She Deserved the Prize

Recently Malala Yousafzai was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize along with another individual named Kailash Satyarthi. The two were recognized for their struggle against the suppression of young people and children and the right of children to an education. I will confess up front that I know nothing about the work or Kailash Satyarthi. The 17 year old Malala Yousafzai is more familiar to me. It seems the more I learn about her the more impressed I am with how she has handled life and its challenges.

I could spend time trying to explain what Malala has done and the impact she has had on the world but I think the time would be better served sharing some of her words with you.

"Why shall I wait for someone else? Why shall I be looking to the government, to the army, that they would help us...for them to help me. Why don't I raise my voice? Why don't we speak up for our rights?"

"I think that the best way to solve problems and to fight is through dialogue, is through the peaceful way, but for me the best way to fight against terrorism and extremism is just simple thing: educate the next generation."

"I would tell him that shoot me but first listen to me. And I would tell him that education is my right and education is the right of your daughter and son as well. And I'm not speaking up for them. I'm speaking up for peace."

"I truly believe the only way we can create global peace is through not only educating our minds, but our hearts and our souls."

"They cannot stop me. I will get my education, if it is in [the] home, school or anyplace."

"And if we want to achieve our goal, then let us empower ourselves with the weapon of knowledge and let us shield ourselves with unity and togetherness."

"You must not treat others with cruelty and that much harshly, you must fight others but through peace and through dialogue and through education."

"They only shot a body but they cannot shoot my dreams."

"I think life is always dangerous. Some people get afraid of it. Some people don't go forward. But some people, if they want to achieve their goal, they have to go. They have to move...."

"I have the right of education. I have the right to play. I have the right to sing. I have the right to talk. I have the right to go to market. I have the right to speak up."

'It feels like this life is not my life. It's a second life. People have prayed to God to spare me and I was spared for a reason- to use my life for helping people."

"One child, one teacher, one book and one pen can change the world. Education is the only solution. Education first."

If you would like to know more about Malala and the work she is doing please go to www.malala.org. If you would like to donate to help the work she is doing to educate girls there is a link at the website noted above. The fight against extremism and terrorism in the world will not be won with bullets and bombs. It will be won when, like Malala, we stand up and demand no more. When we educate the masses and show them there is a different, better way.

No comments:

Post a Comment