Thursday, March 20, 2014

Moving

Carol and I arrived on Tybee Island yesterday. It was my 60th birthday and marked the first day I have been a resident of a state other than Illinois. Our brother in law Rob is here until Sunday morning and I honestly have no idea how we could do this without his help. We got the truck unloaded in about an hour yesterday. We will be several days getting things put away. Part of our furniture was delivered yesterday. We may have half of what we ordered. It is going to take me some time to get accustomed to the "southern" pace of life. It took them about six hours yesterday to unload and carry stuff into the house. I know back home it would have been less than half that amount of time. It is the same at the stores. They check your items and feel obligated to make conversation. Not about anything and the seem to enjoy conversations about nothing. There are other people waiting in line and no one seems to mind that we are just chatting. We went to Home Depot this morning and it took about 20 minutes to get someone to show up in the appliance area. It was just painfully slow. It is, however, impossible to get or remain angry with them. They are just so damn polite.

I know everyone is wondering, Lily and Teddi are adjusting. They have to be taken out on a leash but have full run of the house. We didn't get much sleep last night because the sounds of the city and neighbors was too much for them to relax.

Today was a trip to Home Depot, WalMart and SAMs Club. We got all done with that and noticed we didn't have a coffee pot we paid for at WalMart. When we went back to get it we noticed a nail in our right rear tire. It is too close to the sidewall to repair so at about 2,000 miles the car needs a new tire. Goodyear didn't have one on hand so we have to go there tomorrow. Even in this paradise there are routine problems to be addressed.

My apologies for missing a post yesterday but we were very busy and late in the day I was sick. I will double up someday soon. Pictures will also come soon.

On a final note yesterday afternoon Rob and I went to City Hall to transfer the water service. The young lady at the desk was a typical bureaucrat. All business and no humor. I decided to throw in it was my birthday to see if we could get anything free. She responded with a garbage collection schedule. I decided at that point every response to her would include the statement it was my birthday. I managed in a five minute conversation about water, trash and parking to mention it 15 times. She was thrilled when we left.

No comments:

Post a Comment