Friday, May 16, 2014

Breakfast of Champions

There is a truth here that I will confess. I hate breakfast. I've never been a fan of breakfast. I think it has a great deal to do with traditional breakfast food. Don't like cereal. Eggs and sausage on occasion. Bacon, well bacon makes every meal better but why not wait till later in the day when your taste buds are fully awake and able to appreciate its magic. Carol always wanted our children to eat a normal breakfast. John, our youngest, was the only one who took my feelings to heart. Breakfast is the meal you eat in the morning. If you get up and want beef stew for breakfast then have beef stew. John would get up in the morning and open a can of Dinty Moore beef stew, heat it up and eat it for breakfast. We would drive to Sams to buy beef stew in bulk. This morning I got up and had a couple of cups of coffee. I looked over and Carol was having a breakfast bar. I decided I wanted something so I opened the refrigerator and got out some Taco Bell Queso cheese dip and spread it on a slice of rye bread. She saw what I had and asked why. I said there was just enough left for this and I was cleaning out the refrigerator. Doing my husband duties and helping out.

Carol had a quilt class scheduled at 11:00 am in Savannah. It got cancelled at the last minute and she asked what I had planned for when she was in class. Being honest I said I had no idea since it was scheduled to rain and that would not allow picture taking in the parks. We decided to go to Savannah and do something. I  decided along the way that since breakfast had been an issue I would add insult to injury and have an unusual lunch. So we went here.

Leopold's is a Savannah institution. There are all kinds of things going around that it has been judged the third or fifth best ice cream in the world. I don't know anything about that. All I can say after today is that it is the best ice cream I ever ate. EVER!

Leopold's was founded in 1919 by three immigrant brothers from Greece: George, Peter and Basil Leopold. They opened their ice cream parlor on the corner of Gwinnett and Habersham streets in Savannah where two streetcar lines intersected. It became a Savannah institution. Famed lyricist Johnny Mercer grew up a block away from Leopold's and was a faithful customer when he was in Savannah as an adult. He told Peter Leopold he would write a song about Leopold's famous "Tutti Frutti" ice cream. Now you know the rest of that story. The original location closed in 1969. Stratton Leopold, the youngest child of Peter Leopold kept many of the original fixtures while he pursued his dreams of being a Hollywood producer. He and his wife Mary reopened Leopold's in August 2004 on Broughton Street in downtown Savannah. The original fixtures Stratton saved were installed giving the shop an old fashioned flair. The shop is also decorated with posters and props from Stratton's work in Hollywood.

This is the counter at Leopold's. The fine young "soda jerks" behind the counter generously hand dip your selection in one of the paper cups if you want it to go, or into a glass container if you are dining in.

In front of me is the hot fudge sundae I had for lunch. The one in the foreground is Carol's. It was the lunch of champions. We followed it up with a walk up Broughton Street winding up at World of Beer for an after lunch brew. Some days you have to look healthy eating right in the eye and heartily say "FUCK YOU!"

No comments:

Post a Comment