Sunday, May 11, 2014

Rainbow Fest Parade Final

Well today will be the completion of my series on the Rainbow Festival here on Tybee Island. You wonder sometimes if you have chosen the right place to live. So much of what is on television right now is political advertising. I'm tired of hearing about the "liberal nightmare created by Obama" or the ongoing claims that he is attacking religious freedoms and is going to confiscate everyones guns. No facts to back up either claim but it sells well with the conservative Bible thumping crowd down in the south. It is one reason the parade surprised me. It would have been just as easy for the city council to deny the request. They could have gone somewhere else. They chose to come to Tybee and Tybee residents chose to be welcoming and supportive. It restored some of my faith that the south may yet become a different place. It leads to the first picture for today.

 I know it is hard to read but the sign says It's Time South, for marriage equality. I feel like I have done this woman somewhat of a disservice. There was another lady who was walking with her and carrying the same sign. They appeared to be a couple. When I got home and got a chance to look at my pictures I realized I had not captured an image of both.
 I don't know the name of the man who was the creative force behind this float but he is a local celebrity based on his parade creations. This is his rendition of the original Star Trek Enterprise NCC-1701. Yes I'm geek enough to know the call letters. It seems appropriate the show would be honored in a gay pride parade as George Takei is gay and an outspoken supporter of gay causes. If you do not follow him on Facebook I encourage you to do so. He is well into his 70's and continues to be active and extremely interesting. Part of his childhood was spent in an interment camp during WWII due to his family's Japanese heritage. He has written a play called Allegiance which is currently playing in New York shining a light on a bit of American history many would like to forget.

This lady was the last participant in the parade. I apologize for not getting a better picture of her. She kept moving and I kept taking pictures. These are the best two of the 15 or so I took. She had that strange, I'm an individual vibe that I love and the I don't need your approval to be me attitude. It is a rare combination you really should acknowledge and appreciate when you see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment