Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Full Circle

The last couple of days I have written about the squares of Savannah. I was going to do that today but something has been eating away at me. It is Spring so I know it is planting time back home. The measure of time for me, until this year, has been marked by certain things. Spring, in my mind, isn't about warmer weather and flowers in bloom. It is the dust in the air. The smell of freshly turned dirt as a piece of farm machinery moves through the black soil of home. Tybee Island has its signature smells. The salty scent of the ocean being number one. It is always here. It doesn't mark the passing of seasons. Spring is the smell of dirt. A sweet heady smell that touches me to the depths of my soul. It has always marked Spring. The fall is marked by the smell of harvest. The roar of the corn dryer signals to me the smell of warm corn that goes with it. The dust of soybean harvest has its own smell. Once the crop is in the ground the next marker of time for me is when corn begins to peek through the ground. It spikes up and I always enjoyed the day I could drive by in the car and sees the rows ripple as a drove down the road. It seems like a day or two later the corn is knee high. It happens way before the old farmer saying that it would happen by the 4th of July. We will be back in Illinois in mid June. By then the corn will be head high and the smell of fresh dirt will have long ago faded. It has been replaced for me by the salty sea. While I enjoy both the dirt will always be my favorite.

1 comment:

  1. While I was in school for planting and for the most part missed out on that part of farming, I do remember some weekends when I would be around and run out to Ed's. I remember how pretty the seed corn was, a kind of pinkish color, and the stacks of seed sacks in the equipment shed that would turn into a crop. I was the one running slowly down endless hours of rows cultivating in June and wondering why it would be head high instead of knee high on the Fourth of July. For several summers my time was marked by driving tractors, mowing ditches and fence rows, baling hay and shelling corn. The smells of each remain, but the number one smell of Spring to me remains the lilacs that were around town growing up and in our yard in G-Burg. Thanks for stirring my remembrances. Nowadays my lilac scent comes from Bath & Body candles, and it's sure not the same.

    ReplyDelete