Thursday, August 21, 2014

Believe This

 
 
 
It is not often that I choose to walk into the minefield of religion. Today apparently I'm willing to throw caution to the wind. The first quote basically covers my current beliefs. I don't know if there is a god or gods. I can't determine who is right among all the Christian groups who seem to be willing from time to time to condemn each other to hell based on their failure to agree on some nuance of Christianity. Are Buddhists right? How about Hindus? What about Islam? The various Native American belief systems? Who, if any, are right?
 
Here is where my trouble originates. If, as mentioned in the quote above, I live a life of virtue and kindness among my fellow man; many religious groups would condemn me to an eternity of punishment and torment because I failed to participate in some dogmatic rituals. The same group will allow me to live a lifetime of depravity and hate while expressing that if I participate in these rituals and repent, even on my deathbed, all is forgiven and I live an eternity in heavenly bliss. So I could, in their belief system, live a life where I abused my fellow humans mentally, emotionally, physically, sexually and in any other way imaginable. Having done all that as long as I have, for instance, been baptized and accepted Jesus as my personal savior, even on my deathbed, all is forgiven. Eternal bliss is mine. Pay no attention to the carnage I have created behind me. The lives destroyed and happiness denied by my actions. Those people might recover and lead exemplary lives despite my actions and be condemned to eternal torment because they did not do the things I mentioned above.
 
I included the second quote because many will state that the Bible says, "Judge not". We all judge all the time. The Bible does not admonish believers not to judge. Believers are admonished "Judge not that ye be not judged". It is an admonishment about being a hypocrite. You cannot judge me negatively for my actions and do the same thing and claim it is virtuous behavior.
 
My beliefs lead me to do the best I can to treat my fellow man with kindness and respect. Doing good as I am able and treating everyone as I would want to be treated. Am I unfailingly successful in this endeavor? Of course not. I remain a fundamentally flawed human being. Prone to errors in thought and deed. The one thing I have learned I close with below. Choose kindness and love even in the face of disappointment and unkindness from others.
 

 

1 comment:

  1. Excellent essay. It may wind up on EIB as a guest post.

    ReplyDelete