Friday, August 29, 2014

I'm a Geek!?!

We bought a new laptop a year ago and hadn't used it too much because it ran Windows 8. Our old laptop, which I am using now, runs on Windows Vista. At least that's what I think. Whatever the hell it runs on is no longer supported by Microsoft so change was forced on me by Bill Gates and his minions. John did that magic he does with computers and made the new laptop look like it was running Windows 7. It made us more comfortable because it looked and acted like what we were familiar using. As you get older you hate change more and more. You understand the inevitability of it but you still hate and resist change. That brings us to today. I have spent time the last few days attempting to make our computers hook up to our cable internet wifi network. I had reached my maximum frustration level and gave up. It seemed to make sense to use  the mobile hotspot from Verizon since I'm paying for those GB I might as well use them.

Not willing to allow my defeat to define my battle with technology today I decided to load the software and connect the printer, scanner and Neat Desk scanner to the new laptop. I started with the HP printer. The CD containing the software wouldn't load because the computer was on an incompatible operating system. I went to the HP website, found the correct software and drivers for the printer and downloaded them to the laptop. After installation the real test. Would it print? YES!!!! The two scanners went smoothly and everything works. Ok, the truth is it took all morning. The good news is that I'm retired and all morning isn't a big deal. What was I missing? Kelly and Michael, The View, Katie Couric, the computer work probably saved some of my brain cells from certain death.

If you are having computer problems rested assured that you should NEVER call me for help. Today was all luck. I have virtually no computer skills. If you have questions about that refer back to my failures in paragraph one.

No comments:

Post a Comment