Monday, August 18, 2014

Quilt Show

Yesterday Carol and I attended the Piecemakers Quilt Guild show at Carl Sandburg College. Today I want to share some pictures I took of quilts at the show. There is a very impressive group of talented quilters in the Galesburg area. There were about 250 quilts in the show. The other reason for sharing these pictures is to see how I did with the camera I used. My wonderful daughter in law Mandie is letting me try out her Nikon D5000. Yesterday's pictures were all taken on the automatic setting so basically I was a point and shoot monkey. As time allows me to get more familiar with the camera and the photographic magic it will perform you will see some different results posted here. None of today's pictures have been altered in any way from the way this monkey took them. I feel very skilled as I can stand, point a camera and push a button. Those of you who are wondering, this is about as much multitasking as a man can handle. Please don't ask me to (OMFG) manually focus.

This beautiful quilt is the one that greeted you as you entered the show. I'm not sure my picture does justice to the vibrant colors. As you can see to the right side the washed out light from the outside affected the quality of the photograph.
This quilt is a former best of show winner. There are some quilts that always draw my attention. Quilts that are red, white and blue are one of them. Another is the combination of black, white and red. Finally I also enjoy the use of yellow and blue.

This wall hanging done by Carol Ulm is included because I like dogs. I thought she did a great job capturing the look of a very happy puppy.

This is another small wall hanging measuring perhaps 16" square. It was one of the most commented on by viewers. They really seemed to enjoy the humorous view of the "apple bottom ladies".

This wall hanging or lap quilt was one of my favorites in the show. The use of colors in the flowers is not done justice by my amateur photographic skill. It was bright and wonderfully constructed.

This is a close up view of one of the panels in the quilt. It more accurately shows the bright colors and patterns in the flowers.

This small quilt was stunning. Each square contains a machine embroidered component. The next picture is a close up view of one of the squares.

This is a truly special work of art. Carol has done some machine embroidery and even done by computerized machine this level of quality is difficult to achieve. Each square was perfectly done and beautifully quilted.

There are many more pictures to share and there will be additional posts today if time allows.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful quilts. And the photography is pretty good, too. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete