Wednesday, April 23, 2014

500

I am a lifelong St. Louis Cardinal fan. It's in my blood. It's true, when I cut myself I bleed red. At the same time I am a baseball fan. There are accomplishments by players that you just must acknowledge and appreciate. It is even more satisfying when the player is just a good human being. There were many in St. Louis who were hurt when Albert Pujols left to go play for the Angels. I was disappointed but understood. It wasn't for a little bit of money. It was 10's of millions of dollars. Albert Pujols also has a charitable foundation and his work outside of baseball is to be commended. He can only play for a certain number of years and the opportunity to play for more money was one he did and should have taken. I am and probably always will be a fan of Albert Pujols. It has as much to do with his abilities on the field as it does off. Last night he became the 26th player in major league history to hit 500 or more home runs. I could not be happier for him. It is a great accomplishment. IF, and that is a BIG IF, the fates allow he may well go on to be one of the top two or three home run hitters of all time. He may join the ranks of Ruth and Aaron. I refuse to acknowledge the steriod user in that group. Do I wish Albert Pujols was still wearing Cardinal red?  Of course. I will not allow the fact he plays for a different team to taint my joy at his accomplishments. He may well be one of the best players of his generation. So Albert, congratulations on this accomplishment. I hope in the future I see you have much more success and someday when you enter the Baseball Hall of Fame maybe you could wear a Cardinal cap with your Angels uniform.


No comments:

Post a Comment