Thursday, April 24, 2014

I miss this

There aren't many things I miss about "Ella noise". Well maybe I miss people being able to pronounce the name of the state correctly. Typical conversation goes like this.

"Where ya'all from?"
"Illinois."
"Where abouts in 'Ella noise'? "Chicago?"

Really folks, for fucks sake you just heard the name of the state correctly pronounced by a former resident. A mentally challenged parrot could get it right. We aren't all from Chicago. You explain where you are from and then have to play let me name a city nearby you might know. The good news is that Peoria usually works.

I miss the wildlife. Notice one word not two. I haven't seen a deer here. One raccoon. No howling coyotes. No groundhogs. There aren't thousands of crows shitting all over downtown Savannah. Lots of trees down there, seems like a natural match.

Really good thin crust pizza made by Chase, or Erin or one of the other great pizza artists at Budde's. Good, on tap craft beer. A bar where everyone knows your name.

Do I miss those things enough to get in the car and head north? Nope. This is where I live now. I go out in the morning to walk the dogs and hear the ocean waves rolling up on the shore. The warm nights and pleasant days. Haven't worn a coat since we moved here. It hangs lonely and neglected in our closet. I'll be back this summer to hear the howling coyotes, drink some great beers and enjoy the best pizza in Galesburg. When I've had my fill and my work there is done it will be back to the island life.

1 comment:

  1. Nice to hear you are adjusting to Southern life, if not the Southern grasp on geography.

    ReplyDelete