Tuesday, April 29, 2014

TCT Part 2

Today we return to the land of camping. Maybe it is better to use the new name for it. Glamorous Camping or as the folks who practice it refer to it Glamping.

Lost in the 60's goes to show that in some ways hippies never grow up. They had a groovy display and a great laid back attitude. Some of the folks who came of age in the 60's were, are and always will be hippies. Some, much to my dismay, became asshole banker, stock broker, self centered, greedy yuppies. How could a generation who began with "All you need is love" morph into a group who proclaim "whoever dies with the most toys wins"? I think this couple got it right. Just go out and have a good time.



This car and camper were parked together to give the illusion that the car had, could or would tow the camper. I assure you that has never and will never happen. A quick look behind shows the blue beauty has no trailer hitch. While I don't care if you have multiple hobbies like TCT and car shows please don't try to deceive me. Having said that, this is a beautiful car. There is something about the sweeping line of the fenders and the long pointed hood that really draws me in. I am a little saddened by the modern wheels. Personally I would have preferred a vintage wheel and hubcap setup. While not perfect it does rate very high on my cool car scale.



I close with these three models for your viewing enjoyment. My final word on this is a bit of caution. Saturday morning we attended what I may refer to as America's worst flea market. I did talk to a local on Sunday who stated many of the vendors there go to yard sales in the morning, haul their purchases to the flea market and try to resell them for a profit. No wonder it was a shit hole. Anyway, we could have let that sour us on new experiences and we would have missed this amazing walk through camping history. We would have missed meeting so kind and friendly folks. We would have sat around complaining about there being nothing to do worth going to. So take a look at the weekend activities where you live. Take a chance and maybe you'll end up at the world's best flea market or the America's nastiest campground. Keep trying and somewhere along the way you will find a gem and meet some great folks.

1 comment:

  1. I rather enjoyed your 2 part camper expose. Nice campers, but what they represent is a bit bigger: travel, freedom, home-away-from-home, vacation/retirement. These campers, in their own way, represent what a car, regardless of its shape represented to us 16, 17, or 18 years olds. Yep, I like them a lot. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete